Palacio Real de Olite
Palacio Real de Olite (Plaza de Carlos III ‘El Noble’, 31390 Olite, Navarra) — located in the Central Zone of Navarre, 42 k. south of Pamplona, the Palacio Real (Royal Palace) of Olite, the seat of the Court of Navarre until its union with Castile (1512), was one of the most luxurious medieval castles in Europe. The Royal Palace of Olite is proof of the splendor of the Court that Olite hosted during the Middle Ages. Declared a National Monument in 1925, it covers one-third of the old part of the town and is considered one of the most interesting Gothic complexes in Europe.
It was built over the remains of an ancient Roman fortress and underwent many transformations during the 13th-14th centuries. This part is known as the Palacio Viejo (Old Palace) and now houses the “Príncipe de Viana” Parador Nacional. Of the original building only the outer walls and the towers are conserved. Its façade is characterized by its large Gothic windows, the Renaissance main entrance and the watchtower. Its greatest splendour, however, was in the early 15th century thanks to King Carlos III ‘el Noble’, who brought a number of Iberian and European master builders to work on the castle-palace. The Palacio Nuevo was built in the French Gothic style of civil architecture. The King, who was born in Nantes, came from a great dynasty of French nobles, whose influence spurred on his imagination and good taste in the Palace at Olite, which became his favorite residence. Guided tour: €4.90 (adult), €3.50 (seniors, children ages 6-13). Times vary. See the Palacio’s website for more info: https://guiartenavarra.com