Casa Consistorial (City Hall) — King Charles III ordered the construction of the city hall in 1423. It was built in the center of the town where the three neighborhoods of the three ethnic groups met so that it could act as a symbol of peace. Since then, the seat of municipal government has been located at that same place.
By the middle of the 18th century, the city hall building was a mere ruin and, in 1752, it was completely demolished to be rebuilt from scratch. The new construction became one of the most outstanding examples of baroque civil architecture in the city. However, in 1951, the building was torn down again, but this time the façade was preserved. While the lower part of the façade that we see today and all other decoration have a baroque style, the figures that adorn the top of the building are neoclassical. Admission: free. Visits to City Hall can only be done (by at least a month in advance) through this website: